Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 19:31:59 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Matrox Rainbow Runner

Charles Henrich writes:
 > On the subject of Matrox Rainbow Runner, Petri Helenius stated:
 >
 > > I use this card to produce MPEG's. That is, I take the video into
 > > MJPEG (with one of the higher rate settings, from 7 to 20
 > > megabits/sec) and compress it with an MPEG encoder to 600 to 2500
 > > kilobits/sec. Note that MJPEG is an editable format and not really
 > > targeted for network nor distribution format.
 >
 > What do you use for to convert to MPEG?  The software that comes with the card
 > is horrendously slow!

Xing MPEG encoder 2.0. You get free 30 days from www.xingtech.com or $89
for a license. It does about 8 minutes an hour on my 200 MMX so it's
definetly faster than the crappy Ulead one. (and does better quality)

 > >  > The only downside as far as I can see for this card is, it requires I run
 > >  > windows :)  Has anyone else looked at this card?
 > >  >
 > > The only real problem here is that the windows drivers leak memory
 > > like hell. Doing a 15 minute capture renders my 64 meg machine out of
 > > memory.
 >
 > Hum.  I used the 1.52 driver to capture about an hour of video last night with
 > no problems.

You can do that, the problem is when you try to do something else
after doing that or specifically after playing back that video. 1.52
(and 1.5) are little less worse in this sense than 1.1 but there is no
cure yet.

Pete