Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 2008 14:36:54 +0000
From:      Matt Dawson <matt@chronos.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i give up

--nextPart1672594.PDyGr4r73Q

On Thursday 04 December 2008 22:15:11 freebsd-current-request@freebsd.org=20
wrote:
> > I'm not referring to ATI/AMDs proprietary drivers. =A0They are providing
> > open documentation now, as well as information that isn't yet public
> > when I ask for it. =A0So, I'm speaking about the open drm/mesa/Xorg
> > driver, which afaik is working pretty well on r500 and below now.
> >
> > robert.
>
> Well, yeah. I was referring to the proprietary drivers though, because
> all you get is 2D acceleration with the open ATI/nVidia drivers.
> Given the fact that r500 is rather old too though... that lags a lot
> more behind nVidia -- but I'm sure that's due to volunteering and lack
> of man-hours because nVidia has a few devs dedicated towards
> maintaining their driver on *BSD.

Actually, no. The subset of ATi cards Robert refers to has direct rendering=
=20
support on the to-be-committed (after the ports repo is thawed) Xorg 7.4, D=
RM=20
kernel update (which is already in -HEAD) and new Mesa. I have personally=20
tested R200-R480 cards here with good results, after some time messing abou=
t=20
with nVidia hardware under the same illusion that they are better supported=
=2E=20
Even the troublesome RS48x (Radeon XPress 200/1100M IGP) which I had abando=
ned=20
all hope of ever seeing DRM working upon now works with the open driver,=20
although there are still rendering issues with some 3D workloads using port=
s'=20
Xorg and Mesa.

nVidia's team consists of Christian Zander and another guy (whose name elud=
es=20
me right now) as far as I can tell. "Our" team consists of work already don=
e=20
by Eric Anholt, by whose own admission no longer uses FreeBSD and most of i=
t=20
over 24 months old, and Robert. Also, the open ATi driver/DRI/DRM works=20
(again, verified here) to the same standard on amd64 as it does on i386. Th=
is=20
is not the case with nVidia's proprietary driver, so quite how nVidia's=20
offering leads the OSS ATi driver escapes me right now. Robert's work in th=
is=20
area over the past few months has brought this hardware, along with many of=
=20
the Intel IGPs, almost bang up to date. Only the R6/700 cards lack 3D/2D=20
accel/possibly Xv (I could be wrong on that last item, but the man page sti=
ll=20
says no support) but this work is ongoing.

One more little niggle in nVidia's direction: The OSS ATi driver integrates=
=20
with the base system and ports' Xorg without having to faff about. nVidia's=
=20
screws up the system config with odd .so files and symlinks to the point th=
at=20
manual intervention is required to upgrade xorg-server and get the linuxula=
tor=20
working. Not optimal, IMHO.

Bottom line is we have rather good support in -CURRENT for ATi cards and=20
similar in -STABLE with Robert's patches applied. This is probably set to g=
et=20
a whole lot better when 7.1-RELEASE shows up (I doubt the DRM kernel stuff=
=20
will be MFC'd to 7.1, but I'd like to be wrong) and we get the new stuff in=
to=20
ports. When one compares the resource gap between Robert's dedicated volunt=
eer=20
efforts and two full-time paid nVidia devs with full docs, this is nothing=
=20
short of amazing and I, for one, am very grateful.
=2D-=20
Matt Dawson

ku.gro.sonorhc@ttam
MTD15-RIPE