Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 13:14:09 -0800
From:      Renaud Waldura <rwaldura@LIGOS.COM>
To:        'Peter Brezny' <peter@cyber1.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: switch vs bridge

Yes and no.

Yes, they both operate at the link layer and perform the same core function,
ie. forward datagrams from port to port (I've never heard of a single port
bridge).

No, because a brige shares the links between all ports, forwards the
datagrams to all ports. A switch selects the right port(s) only, segmenting
your network dynamically for the time of transmission; eg. on Ethernet, you
get full 10 Mbps on every link, instead of having a shared 10 Mbps for all
links. Basically a switch is a better bridge. It should probably be called a
switching bridge, but usage, you know...

At least that's my understanding. If somebody knows better, I'd love to be
corrected.

This is really not a FreeBSD question, but I guess you knew that.

--Renaud