Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:33:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      Scott Pilz <tech@tznet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   VPN

	There are an increasing number of ISP's that are now offering VPN
services to their customers. I've looked into this very little - to the
point where I did setup a VPN server on FreeBSD however according to what
I have read on the internet, the latest/newest/best release of PPP is not
compatible with BSD (yet). This latest version of PPP offers support for
Windows machines to use their method of encryption, and is not supported
in earlier releases of PPP. While I was able to connect to the VPN server
without encryption, I was not able to do so with encryption.

	I'm wondering what you others have run into, and what packages
work best for your customers. I realize that many ISP's are now buying
these awfully expensive pieces of equipment designed to run VPN and only
VPN ... to save the company some money, any alternatives to these
appliances?

	Thanks.

	Scott