Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2023 14:02:44 -0700
From:      "Edward Sanford Sutton, III" <mirror176@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trying to get spotify working

On 11/21/23 01:04, Joe B wrote:
> Hello,
>
> So I followed this post
>
> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/watching-spotify-and-listening-to-netflix-in-2023.90695/#post-626065
>
> It was asking me a lot of prompts and i was like im just going to see
> if it works
>
> After it failed to compile i was like let me remove it. so i did a make
> deinstall clean. After about 30 mins i went back to the tty where it
> was and it was skipping packages that weren't there and eventually i
> just stopped it. went to startx and i was missing lots of modules. I
> reinstaled and everything is workinga again exepct no spotify
>
> Question is when is it safe to use make deinstall ?

   When you are in an individual port's directory that you want to
uninstall from your system; it just runs `pkg delete` on the package
defined as PKGNAME. You can run `make -VPKGNAME` from a port's folder to
see what that name would be.
   Haven't used it in years but thought it was only a good idea when on
the same ports tree that ran the install as I thought it ran a separate
make target and not just use make to run `pkg delete` on the package
(installing a port creates an 'installed package' record); guess it
should be fine as long as names haven't changed enough to make PKGNAME
not be the same thing in the port as ports change over time.
   If you didn't initiate a `make deinstall-all` or leave the directory
of the port you wanted it to uninstall then I would have not expected it
to do this. `cd /usr/ports; make deinstall` I would presume would be a
bad idea leading to what you described.

> I was wondering since the forum post had me in 1 directory that wasn't
> offical is that the reason why it removed stuff at the root level?

   If `cd freebsd-ports/www/linux-widevine-cdm` had you inside a normal
individual port folder and you didn't change to a different one, then I
would have assumed `make deinstall` to work just fine.