Date:      Sat, 4 Aug 2001 18:40:45 -0400
From:      Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@mail.cicely.de>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, oppermann@telehouse.ch, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 303,000 routes in kernel

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 12:22:33AM +0200, Bernd Walter wrote:
> The routing "hardware" can't look into the full routing table because
> todays routing tables are serveral megabytes big.

We're rapidly getting off topic here, but for the record...

Route caching has not delivered acceptable performance for "core"
routers for some time.  As the internet got larger and used more,
the percentage of the total routing table that was in use (and
hence cached) grew larger and larger, exhausing the smaller, faster
cache memories.

All of the current designs used in the core, and many of the edge
designs as well keep the "full table" (distilled to the minimum
amount of information to forward a packet) available to the hardware
forwarding engine.  This includes Cisco's GSR line, and Junipers
M-series routers.  While working differently, Cisco's 7200's and
3600's also do the "full table thing".

Looking at next generation designs, all vendors agree the only
designs that will work in the core are designs that will work.
So, unless the packet needs local processing (eg ICMP pings)
a packet is a packet is a packet to today's routers.

--
Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440