Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 09:02:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        don morrison <dmorrisn@u.washington.edu>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Draft of Nader letter

On Sun, 14 Jun 1998, Brett Glass wrote:

> The description of FreeBSD said it was in the "public domain" (which
> is simply wrong) and described it as "non-copylefted" (true, but showing
> a bias toward Linux and the GPL). It also equated the "project" with the
> OS.

The point of the article (at that point) was to praise the
mechanisms that have produced competing OSs.  I thought the
letter was pretty good and fair, actually.

We're closer to "public domain" than we are to "copyleft".
Neither copyleft nor or license is explained, other than to say
that they are both free and threatened by certain predatory
practices.  How would you have him explain our mix of licenses
(which ranges from public domain to GPL)?  Besides that, a
"FreeBSD license" is mentioned.  The intended audience is not
stupid and knows that this implies something more complex than
"just" p/d.

Never let facts get in the way of a good argument.  :)

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.