Date:      Fri, 31 May 1996 02:19:05 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
To:        map@iphil.net (Miguel A.L. Paraz)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: detecting and killing CPU hogs

Lo and behold, Miguel A.L. Paraz once said:

> Is there a way to do kill programs like this via scripts:
> > 15296  p0- RN   5359:54.88 lynx

  *ouch*.  That's not healthy. :)

> I think these are caused by people who run these from the shell via
> a telnet session, which gets disconnected.  Am I right?

  For the most part, completely correct.

  My suggestion is a quick perl script to do it that parses the output of
a ps -auxw.  If you want, I can send you the one I use here, but you'll
probably want to customize it for your own system.

   The other option is to have the users shells execute a 'limit' when
they log on. :-)  I haven't tried that approach, as a decision was made
to use bash as the default shell here.  <twitch>

   -Dave Andersen

--
angio@aros.net                Complete virtual hosting and business-oriented
system administration         Internet services.  (WWW, FTP, email)