Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 1995 15:58:51 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        Brad Midgley <brad@pht.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: perl fails the test suite!

>Hello everyone,
>
>Running 950322-SNAP...
>
>I ran perl's TEST under /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/t and it fails 11 tests.  A
>fresh compile from /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin doesn't help.
>
>I've gotten some really strange behavior out of the perl scripts we use
>for ftp-mirroring ("mirror.pl 2.3") and I hope this nails down the
>problem...
>
>Is there a quick fix?  I can't quite get the standard 4.036 distribution
>to compile (I don't know the correct combination of configuration stuff)

The problem is that an "improvement" to sprintf is messing things up.
The translation of zero is comming out "0." rather than "0".
This morning, I saw the commit message to post a corrected version. I am
not sure how soon/easy it is for you to get that routine out of -current.

An alternate "fix" to perl(4) is to modify str.c. It appears that the
"apollo" systems had a similar problem. If you edit perl/str.c, you can
easily find the appropriate #ifdef apollo. Simply delete the #ifdef and the
corresponding #endif.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net