Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:17:03 +0100
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gaml@buz.ch>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?B?U/hyZW4gU2NobWlkdA==?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: SI3112A SATA controller RAID support?

Hello Søren,

> However there are *alot* of bugs in that silicon, making it the most
> crappy SATA chip in existance, but what can you expect from the company
> that brought us the CMD640 etc ;)

Well I just figured out that myself.

I think it would be best if you were to kick support for it altogether, considering
I can't even get 5.2.1 install on it without paniccing (installing base works,
but it crashes somewhere installing src, ports or something).

The kernel claims to have suffered a page fault but I've been beating
on the memory in question with Memtest86 for quite some time now, without
finding any problem at all. I'm gonna get a Highpoint based SATA
controller tomorrow to check if it's really the SI chips fault (but
I'm pretty sure it is). Had I known this was a successor to CMD640
(one of the (possibly even THE) crappiest ICs ever made), I probably wouldn't
have bothered in first place (but background rebuilds startable
from BIOS looked charming, nonetheless).

Note to self: run away from anything with Silicon Image in it.

Best regards,
 Gabriel