Date:      Thu, 18 May 1995 13:55:07 +0200
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        asami@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?=  =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SUBDIR in Makefiles - usage thereof

> Well, I'm not sure why people would want to deal with hand-made
> patches to the ports Makefiles,

I have some patches I apply locally that I've not got round to suggesting to
ports@ yet, for instance:
-----{
] Establish a compilation order for majority interests
] I suspect most people need things like mailers, postscript tools, fax etc
] a lot more than they need games, japanese, or russian
] (not that those things aren't nice to have too, just that when
] compiling a system, where the make may break, or disc may run out,
] or you've got a screwed system you need to restore with a new make,
] the system components esssential to most of us are not in games japanese russian
] So it's worth compiling the things most people need first, rather than
] just going the alphabetic route.
]
]   Move games to last, (dedicated players can move it first if they want)
]   Move japanese russian to last (as most people are not either)
]
] *** old/ports/Makefile	Thu May  4 23:57:15 1995
] --- new/ports/Makefile	Fri May  5 19:18:46 1995
] ***************
] *** 1,8 ****
]   # $Id: Makefile,v 1.18 1995/05/01 11:55:37 ache Exp $
]   #
] ! SUBDIR= archivers audio cad comms databases devel editors games graphics \
] ! 	japanese lang mail math net news print russian shells utils x11
] !
]   .include <bsd.port.subdir.mk>
]
] --- 1,8 ----
]   # $Id: Makefile,v 1.18 1995/05/01 11:55:37 ache Exp $
]   #
] ! SUBDIR= archivers audio cad comms databases devel editors graphics \
] ! 	lang mail math net news print russian shells utils x11 \
] ! 	games japanese russian
]   .include <bsd.port.subdir.mk>
]
] -----
--------}
> In fact,
> the entire ports tree in less than 10MB (without distfiles), so why
> don't you all go and grab the whole hting today!  (And start testing! :)

I have & do regularly, but when the same things keep breaking regularly,
apart from reporting it,
I pefer to have my local patch script just patch them out (lots of ports
I don't even know what they are, so have zero inclination to fix 'em,
plus any inclination is tempered by a 40 second delay per key stroke,
going to freefall from Munich thru' about 15 hosts.

> Also, it will make it easier when we formally support the RESTRICTED
> and BROKEN keywords, as we can do something like

BROKEN Sounds attractive :-) I'll wait to read /usr/share/mk/*po*.mk
to discover RESTRICTED functionality.

Keep up the good work :-) Thanks,

Julian S