Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:53:07 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Benjamin Lutz <benlutz@datacomm.ch>, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is the FreeBSD kernel so much bigger than the Linux kernel?

Greg Lehey wrote:

> I have a Linux box here:
>
> [grog@capellorosso /boot]$ ls -l /boot/vmlinux-2.2.16-22
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1621492 Aug 23 06:26 /boot/vmlinux-2.2.16-22
>
> That's not very different.  Note that a lot of hardware support in
> Linux is done in loadable modules, while FreeBSD has it in the kernel.

Your Linux is a default kernel off of some distribution (the -22 gives
it away). A 2.2.16 kernel I just compiled to support only the hardware
actually present on the system weighs in at only 416,492 bytes. That's a
quarter the size you gave. (a FreeBSD kernel compiled for the same
system was over one megabyte).

Granted, FreeBSD has a different architecture than Linux. Comparing the
sizes of the kernels is like comparing apples and oranges. But Ben's
question was a good one, so I'll expand on it. Does putting the hardware
support into the kernel instead of modules account for this big of a
difference?

David