Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 1996 17:36:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kurt Schafer <kurt@cyberbeach.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unusual sendmail behavior ?

Can anybody comment on their experiences with the sendmail daemon. I've noticed
that whenever I do a 'ps' I see upwards of 10 sendmail processes going at any
given time, and of those, there are always a good number of them that seem
to last for several minutes.

The /var/spool/mqueue directory yields several 1k message sizes, which I would
think sendmail could transfer over a T1 line in a considerrably shorter
period of time than 10 minutes or more.

I can mail to mailing lists such as these without too much problem, and
mail seems to trickle back from them, but I'm taking the paranoid approach on
this one because of the importance of a solid mail server.

How does the default sendmail.cf file generated with 2.1.5-RELEASE stand up
to an ISP workload ? (currently about 1200 active customers)

-Kurt