Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:57:54 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@iMach.com>
Cc:        Christian Jachmann <jachmann@gigabell.net>, Carroll Kong <damascus@eden.rutgers.edu>, "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Off-topic News: WAS: Re: 3.4-Stable crashes..(heavy diskio+networking)

At 5:24 PM -0700 2000/3/22, Forrest W. Christian wrote:

>  Has there been any progress made on a decent news CACHE software?
>
>  I'd love to try something the likes of nntpcache, but hopefully something
>  that works better than nntpcache did a couple of years ago.

	In this role, I think Diablo/dreaderd actually works pretty good.

	You do have to take a header-only feed from the server that
assigns the article ids, but from there the dreaderd servers can pull
a copy of the article from any server they know about, and it only
needs to support the standard "ARTICLE <message-id>" command format
(which I think all current news spool server software can handle),
and then they hand out overview and history from local disk, as well
as locally cached articles.

	I'd encourage you to come to SANE 2000 and attend Joe Greco's
presentation that will be describing the large-scale USENET news
server system he has built/is building, its architecture, etc....
See <http://www.nluug.nl/sane/>; in general, and
<http://www.nluug.nl/sane/daily/25/greco.html>; in particular.

	You might also be interested in Poul-Henning Kamp's presentation
"Confining the Omnipotent root", which is going to be describing the
new jail() facility in FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE.  See
<http://www.nluug.nl/sane/daily/24/kamp.html>; for more details.

	Disclaimer: I am on the Program Committee for SANE 2000, and I am
the sponsoring committee member for Joe's presentation as well as Jon
Lasser's "Bastille Linux: Security through Transparency" presentation
(see <http://www.nluug.nl/sane/daily/24/lasser.html>; for details).