Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:29:08 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggestions for Documentation

Jerry Dunham wrote:

> When I came to FreeBSD I'd been using computers for 30 years (starting
> with classes on an IBM 1620), but that didn't help me know where to find
> .xinitrc.  I also had no idea what an X server was or that the X client/
> server relationship would look backwards to a non-softhead.  I think the
> FreeBSD documentation could stand to cover some of these things, or in
> this case point to some XFree86 documentation that does (if such exists).

In the case of this X information, I excluded it from the stuff that
should not be documented by FreeBSD. It certainly SHOULD be. And it
already is there, but scattered around and hidden in different docs. It
should be gathered up and presented in one place. For example, the
Handbook (after a quick search) did not explain about .xinitrc, but
typing "man startx" did.

And of course, all this information can be found at www.xfree86.org :-)

David