Date:      Wed, 1 May 1996 12:02:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Hart <dashadow@tchnet.tchnet.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problem with ifconfig for a virtual machine

Ok, I have been trying over and over to get this to work, and I actually
had it working, but then I realized that the main ip address was gone.
Now, what I have is a start_if.ed1 file in /etc that reads:

ifconfig ed1 alias 198.109.196.252 netmask 255.255.255.0

I also have had the netmask at 0xffffffff, and it worked from the outside
world, but not from the machine it is aliased to.

Anyone know which netmask I should use?  I was told both of the above by
two seperate people.

John

John Hart, System Administrator                       Technet Internet Services
dashadow@tchnet.com                                               (517)796-8200