Date:      Sat, 24 May 1997 11:51:39 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Joachim Kuebart <joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
To:        Gerard Giamberdine <gerard@dimensional.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Transfering FreeBSD to 1G IDE Drive

On 23-May-97 at 20:56:23 Gerard Giamberdine wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to transfer FreeBSD 2.2 from a 420M IDE HD to a 1G IDE HD and
>am hoping someone can help me out a bit. First of all, is this possible/
>a good idea without reinstalling the distributions? Next, I'm having
>problems 'newfs'ing the drive - in sysinstall when I try to write the
>labels
>for the allocated partitions I get:
>
>       Unable to add /dev/wd0s1b as a swap device      [OK]
>       (newfs -b 8192 -f 1024 /dev/rwd0s1a)
>       panic: ufs_lock: recursive lock not expected, pid 738
>
>       (system then reboots)
>
>Any ideas what the problem is here? Also, should I leave LBA on in BIOS
>for
>the 1G drive (FBSD will get the whole thing) and will I need to change
>any
>geometry settings in FBSD?

FreeBSD doesn't care about the BIOS setting, except for the initial values. I
recommend you check the values it read out of the BIOS with the values most
hard disks display on their label nowadays. If they're different, use them...

If you've successfully fdisk'ed and disklabelled your drive, why not do the
newfs by hand? It recognizes all the settings automatically, so it needs no
parameters.

>Finally, If and when I get all the above
>working,
>can I simply copy FreeBSD over to the new drive?

No and yes. Use cpio (see man cpio for _much_ help...). People say this will
preserve hard links. To check, look if all files in /stand have 19 hard links
(it's really just one file...) Otherwise, you may be wasting more space on the
new drive than you needed on the old drive... I had a funny time figuring this
one out :-)

>Thanks in advance, Gerard.
>

>Additional info, if it helps:
>Pentium-75. 1G HD is master, 420M is slave.

cu Jo

FreeBSD - top breeders recommend it          <http://www.freebsd.org>;
Joachim Kuebart                                    <joa@delos.lf.net>
Tel: +49 711 653706                        <joa@stuttgart.netsurf.de>