Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:20:19 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Powerbook Setup

On Tuesday 19 October 2004 12:31 pm, Paul Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 11:51:00AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> > Thinkpads are quite expensive, more so than other PC laptops, so that
> > pretty
>
> See eBay. A Celeron-based Thinkpad with bluetooth shouldn't cost you
> more than $600. How much are iBooks and Powerbooks again? Even
> second-hand?

I must confess that all of my laptops thus far have been purchased by my=20
various employers (even the very old Thinkpad I borrowed in college), but=20
when I've looked at pricing replacements the Thinkpads seem very expensive.=
 =20
However, I haven't trawled ebay yet, so there are probably deals lurking=20
there.

> See, at work I look after a 6-way Windows 2003 cluster. I think it rocks
> at what it does. I've signed off on purchases of Microsoft Content
> Management Server, SQL Server, etc. and I *know* that the =A3500k that
> went down that hole *could* have been better spent helping fund work on
> an open source CMS and back-end tools like MySQL. Problem is, there were
> other major political forces in my way. I know there was a
> double-standard on my part there, and I know my support of that Windows
> architecture shows duplicity in my own beliefs, but I want to try and
> get to the bottom of the OS X crowd who are splitting from FreeBSD. What
> are the actual factors involved in their decision, and are they really
> as vacuous and empty as excuses as I suspect they might be? I want to be
> proven wrong here.

Well, one thing is that I know that working on FreeBSD can be very tiring=20
after a while.  Occasionally I go through slow periods in my FreeBSD work d=
ue=20
to burnout and some folks just burned out more completely after longer=20
stints.  If people burn out, then they are not going to be working much on=
=20
=46reeBSD regardless.  Working on OS X can provide a fairly familiar=20
environment for folks who want to work on something new.  Since open source=
=20
developers tend to be a bunch of geeks who don't always have the best socia=
l=20
skills I think there is an even larger tendency for frustration and getting=
=20
burned out in an open source community than at a job where the social=20
interaction mixture is more diverse.

> > Different tools are good at different things, and I am quite comfortable
> > with FreeBSD + KDE, but I also like OS X as a desktop.  The fact that I
> > can fire up X11.app and then ssh in and run kmail, etc. over ssh just as
> > in FreeBSD is quite handy.  It also has native p4 binaries and xemacs in
> > darwinports allowing me to even do kernel development on the powerbook
> > when I'm at home.
>
> OK, but what would it take for you to see FreeBSD + X + whatever is
> better than OS X? I say it already is, but seriously, what would it
> actually take to get there? A different theme in KDE? What is the actual
> point of OS X if you already have FreeBSD? OS X is great if you're used
> to System 9. I don't see the upgrade path from FreeBSD. Can somebody,
> somewhere, please explain it to me beyond the vacuous details of how
> their Powerbook "looks neat" or that they like the fonts or the bouncing
> icons or whatever. Please?

Well, when I plug in the VGA output for a projector, it just turns on and l=
ets=20
me pick the resolution from a pop box independent of the main LCD display. =
=20
It lets me do mirror or separate displays with a simple click, and it is al=
l=20
through a simple and intuitive GUI rather than reading man pages and hackin=
g=20
on text config files.  The fact that out of the box you plug in a digital=20
camera and iPhoto just pops up with the pictures downloaded is another=20
example of where the folks at Apple have put effort into the UI.  FreeBSD=20
definitely has room for improvement here.  Also, the work they put into the=
=20
idea of "locations" that define network configurations is done well and=20
integrated into the UI well.  It's not so much grand sweeping changes as mu=
ch=20
as lots of details that have been addressed that can save time if all you=20
need to do is surf the web, pop up some terminals or xemacs, etc.  (IOW,=20
desktop use.)  Oh, and "switch user" from panther.  My wife and I often sha=
re=20
the same FreeBSD + KDE machine at home and when I'm not using a laptop we=20
have to keep logging out to let the other person use the machine.  Having=20
switch user for KDE would be very, very nice.

> > XFree86 4.4 are better than older releases, but they still have a long
> > way to go.  Also, as someone who actually works on the code to get
> > suspend/resume to work on some laptops (my Dell is now finally able to =
do
> > S3 and S1 for the
>
> I have to admit I wasn't aware of that, but one reason cited for Apple
> kit and OS X being "better" than FreeBSD laptops to me, was that
> suspend/resume "just work". But for me, it's "just worked" since like,
> well... since forever.

Unfortunately suspend/resume mostly doesn't work on PC laptops nowadays.  :=
=2D(
Things like ACPI are supposed to help but many vendors don't always put ful=
l=20
support into ACPI and require vendor specific drivers for what should be AC=
PI=20
functions (e.g. battery time remaining on both of my laptops and on early=20
Vaios).

> > Well, all I can say is that given that I personally know some of the
> > people who now work on OS X that used to work on FreeBSD, I think you a=
re
> > just spouting random opinions without any basis in fact.
>
> You've just said it. Some people claim there is no brain drain, yet you
> yourself admit that there are people out there who USED to work on
> FreeBSD who no longer do so, because they're off playing with OS X. I
> don't have a real complaint with them, but shouldn't we be trying to
> stop this, or do we all just pack up now and just make 6.0 a link to
> Darwin and advise everybody to go out and but Apple gear instead?
>
> Wouldn't it be nice if instead of accepting defeat we were able to find
> ways of funding those people who used to work on FreeBSD full time to
> come back? I'm not saying it can be done, I'm saying is that not better
> than just having a mass exodus to somebody else's OS?

Well, I don't think there is a mass exodus.  Also, I think that it is actua=
lly=20
good for FreeBSD for there to be at least some turnover in the developer=20
base.  We want to be in the position where the Project doesn't go down the=
=20
tubes if someone gets run over by a bus.  I don't think that it has harmed=
=20
=46reeBSD to have some of the folks go work on OS X instead.  In fact, in s=
ome=20
ways the relationships there are helpful.  As I said earlier, I still talk =
to=20
Mike occasionally to ask him for advice, etc.  Also, having Apple fund=20
TrustedBSD work has been a big help to getting that work done sooner.  Ther=
e=20
also have been several minor bug fixes in libc and a few other userland=20
places merged back from Apple to FreeBSD.

> That's nice and everything, but what I meant was, is the biggest draw to
> Darwin over *BSD the MSDOSFS stuff? Is there anything else in there that
> is worth porting? I accept TrustedBSD, but I thought most of that was
> now done?

No, the draw to OS X is the UI and a lot of the non-Darwin stuff.  The stuf=
f=20
in Darwin that they've fixed is out there sitting for anyone to go look at=
=20
and try to integrate back into FreeBSD where appropriate.

=2D-=20