Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 09:04:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: t-1 from whom?

Randy A. Katz recently said:
> Hi,

> I know I'm coming in a bit late here but I had a T-1 with at-work.

> The connection speed is good most of the time.

> The daytime service is ok. The nightime service is non-existent
> but what do you expect from the price (review 1st tier providers
> price for a T-1)?

I've found that service at night or very early morning is good - at
least in the Eastern US.  Some providers oversell their T1s. Night
time glut would be typical for an ISP that had a high aggregation
rate.

> They do not tolerate SPAM at all so if you are adding new
> customers who have to be dealt with make sure you have an
> administrative staff that can do it in a timely manner because
> they will do things like:

They are your customers and you are responsible.  Set the checks
and balances first - in writing - and warn violators they can be
cut off immediately and forever - depending on the severity.

>  1. Put a filter on you without warning and wait for you to
> call the next day. They like to put the filter on on Saturday
> night...that can really kill a business. 2. Tell you you have to
> cancel xyz client now and not forward you the "proof" even when
> asked to.

That is totally unreasonable.  If you had business accounts - those
wouldn't notice the Saturday cutoff - but the dial-in's would.  If
they won't tell you the reason they cut you off or filter you, then
you need to get a new provider now.

> At 09:49 AM 10/2/98 -0500, Graphic Rezidew wrote:

> >Hi, I run a network over my dual channel ISDN connection to do
> >some shell, mail, and web-serving. As one would imagine, I am
> >saturating my bandwidth. I have decided to get a T-1 and am
> >considering service from AT-WORK (a company affiliated with
> >AT-HOME, the cable modem people). The price is quite fair
> >$1000/mo for a line that is basicly only restricting me from
> >providing dial-up, based on the terms of usage doc. The Thing
> >that concerns me is that their network is so NEW...I am wondering
> >if they have clean through put to the rest of the internet.

Does the $1000/month include the line charges to the destination?
I suspect not.  Depending on the link speed and the area it could
be around $400 month.

> >NOTE: I am not interested in hearing about how swell your cable
> >modem is. I am not signing up for cable modem service. This will
> >be a real T-1 on a network seperate from AT-HOME.

Would you explain that.   You said the service would come from
At-home, and now you say separate from at-home.   Another question
- will they guarantee you the bandwidth.

I saw a local ISP advertise in a big way.  They had lots of
customers - and their only link to the outside world was a T1 to
another local ISP.  The pipe between the ISP's was full most of the
time.   Too high an aggregation ratio will make anything fast
seem agonizingly slow.

The real clue is NOT whether it is a T1 connection - but the
guaranteed rate of the connection.