Date:      Sat, 20 May 2000 17:46:23 -0400
From:      "leegold" <goldtech@worldpost.com>
To:        "Thomas Good" <tomg@mailhost.nrnet.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Users in NYC?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Good" <tomg@mailhost.nrnet.org>
To: "leegold" <goldtech@worldpost.com>
Cc: <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>; <MrK1nt@aol.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 20, 2000 4:01 PM

> On Sat, 20 May 2000, leegold wrote:
>
> > yes i'm in the nyc area, i'm as they say a "newbie". i'm "reading-up"
before
> > i install FreeBSD for the 1st time.
> >
> > that eskimo.com link i cited- i went to one of their meetings last nite.
> > even though most of the people there are linux users, there were some
> > FreeBSD users too. AS a matter of fact some of the professional
sysadmin
> > type dudes in the group are hooked on FreeBSD and good sources of info
> > 'cause they've been hacking unix for years
>
> I am in Staten Island and use Linux (Slackware for production, RedHat for
> Workstations), UnixWare (legacy apps) and FBSD (my laptop and a fledgling
> mail server, still doing conf stuff).  FBSD has a vastly superior
> filesystem but lacks good docs.  No offense to Greg Lehey but one book
> does not compare to the O'Reilly armada that focuses on Linux.

No doubt. But FreeBSD has at least caught O'Reilly's attention, see:
http://www.oreillynet.com/freebsd/

>  I have
> a few older books on 4.4BSD but we could really use some new efforts...
> 'FBSD in a Nutshell', 'Teach Yourself FBSD in 20 Minutes', etc...
> I'd like to see a book that starts with 'Remove the shrinkwrap, grab a
> pint and a pizza...'

Agree 1000%. Step by step install instuctions w/side-bars for the newbie
explaining the techie aspects. eg. when everybody was taking about "slices"
it took me a day or two to read-up and get that they were taking about disk
partions. I'm still not 100% there on the partiton issue, but think I know
enough now to go ahead w/an install.

I'm convinced that if the newbies are supported and brought into the fold -
FreeBSD will take-off and in turn get more 3rd party published
documentation.

> Jordan Hubbard is pretty good at explaining things...wish he'd take a
> sabbatical and draft a tome.  I'd even agree to proofread (actually
serious
> here).
>
> Anyway, I'm also a postgres and perl fanatic.  So, if the other New
Yorkers
> wanted to form a newbie usr group to discuss running FBSD (maybe an RDBMS
> as well ;-), I'm in!

You talking only FreeBSD (not explictly Linux*)? I think there is one - i
went to thier www site and they had jpegs of group members doing some
serious chowing down at an indian restaurant. But I'm game to start a
group - i learn so much there and i want to post some pictures of me tearing
into an overstuffed olive loaf sub.

* cause the Linux groups have some FreeBSD users - or at least they're
seriously interested in getting a slice up next to their Linux and trying
it.

Lee