Date:      06 Jan 1999 11:04:04 -0500
From:      "Robert V. Baron" <rvb@cs.cmu.edu>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        "Robert V. Baron" <rvb@cs.cmu.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i386/conf/PCCARD

Warner Losh <imp@village.org> writes:

> In message <yzsr9t98eip.fsf@sicily.odyssey.cs.cmu.edu> "Robert
> V. Baron" writes:
> : I've been wondering, of late, how well/if laptops are supported in
> : -current.  It seems that the configuration, PCCARD, has recently
> : (since mid December) has gone away.  Is this the answer?
>
> Laptops are well supported in -current.  In the cleaning frenzy that
> overtook the tree, PCCARD was removed because it was claimed to be out
> of date.  Nothing has taken its place, sadly, but GENERIC with a few
> lines from LINT (the ones talking about card and pcic) will work
> great.
>
> I'm running approx Jan 1 on my Libretto 50CT.
>
> Warner

I'm not arguing whether laptops work.  I have a TP 560 and have been
using it.  But the packaging of laptop support with the -current
(and -stable) is lacking and removing PCCARD seems to be going in
the wrong direction.  (Example: to install on a laptop you use
GENERIC and the zp/ze drivers; then do some manual magic including
insalling a new kernel to switch over to a pccardd based scheme.)