Date:      Sat, 4 Oct 1997 12:19:07 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Hans Petter Bieker <hanspb@persbraten.vgs.no>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to use mfs? + some XFree86 stuff

How do I use memory file system? The mfs man page says:
[..]
           mount_mfs -s=20480 -o nosuid,nodev /dev/sd0b /tmp
[..]

which indicates that I need a device /dev/sd0b for the memory file system.
Or does the device just tell which swap partition to use?!? It also
mentions something about disklabel? I don't have a swap device.

I have some diskless boxes I really want to put /var (and symlink /tmp to
/var/tmp) in the memory instad of nfs mounting it (cause then I mount it
ro).

Can somebody give some information about how it works? the mfs man mage
doesn't say very much and so does the handbook and faq.

btw... XFree86 servers want to write to the /usr partition when I start
the server. Why? it seems like it compiles a keyboard map or something. If
I mount /usr ro I get US keymap..

--
 Linux; 64bit, multi-platform, multi-tasking, multi-user, fast and Free.
Microsoft Windows 95 - From the makers of EDLIN and FAT drive formatting!