Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 2003 08:54:30 +0100
From:      Thomas Pornin <pornin@bolet.org>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ADSL question

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 12:01:09PM +1100, Rob B wrote:
> >- is there an existing adsl modem working on alpha/bsd.
>
> As long as the modem has an ethernet connection for the computer, then I
> can't see why it would not work.

This message is sent from a FreeBSD/alpha host through an ethernet ADSL
modem. So it indeed works. The tricky part was to get an ethernet modem,
not a USB-only one. The vendor got a bit confused when I told him that
although the machine was not a PC, it was not a Mac either; but he got
it right when I told him explicitely "my machine does not support USB".

Machine is an AXPpci33 "Noname" board (166 MHz ev4), with 32 MB of RAM,
and it works great as far as networking is concerned. ADSL link uses
PPPoE, so I run pppd (userland -- and it implements NAT and simple
packet filtering), and I have enough CPU and RAM left to host my mail
server and primary DNS.

	--Thomas Pornin