Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 17:28:14 -0400
From:      Travis Cole <kelp@plek.org>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wow

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 01:20:57PM -0700, Chris Doherty wrote:
> At some point, Theo de Raadt said:
> > I've barely slept in a week.
>
> for myself with my one machine, I'm just annoyed. if I had gone through
> this bullshit on 40 machines, when I could have just modified a config
> file, I'd be pissed, and rightfully so.
>
> but, *shrug*. I'll not give such credence to vague warnings in the
> future--lesson learned.

Well, the fact is they just released 5600 lines of fixes and such
for OpenSSH.

ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/OpenSSH/portable/openssh-3.4p1-vs-openbsd.diff.gz

Thats a big patch.

And Theo has said there are probably other holes in there.  I think I
trust him on that.

I've watched the OpenBSD and OpenSSH projects for a long time, and because of
that I have some idea how things operate.

They often fix issues that may or may have lead to a working exploit.

They fix bugs.  Bugs can cause security holes.

OpenSSH 3.4 has a *LOT* of bug fixes.

And the PrivSep does reduce the chances of any still existing
bugs causing real security issues.

http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/provos/ssh/privsep.html

Its a good idea to upgrade to 3.4.  I've got 300 boxes that will
be upgraded soon.

Most of them are running pre-3.0 SSH versions.

I'm upgrading anyway.

--
-tcole