Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 1995 14:30:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steven G Kargl  <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com (FreeBSD)
Subject:   install(1) revisited

I have uploaded `install.tar.gz' into /pub/FreeBSD/incoming on
freebsd.cdrom.com.  The new install has the default behavior of
the current install in the source tree.  I have only added some
options and error handling.

The added options:

  -C  ---  Compare the source and target file.  If these are the
           same, then do nothing (except possibly remove redundant new
           file).

  -t  ---  set the timestamp on the target file to the timestamp
           on the source file

  -z  ---  execute gzip and append `.gz'

  -Z  ---  execute gzip and do not append `.gz'

For those who have followed the previous thread.  The symlink option
has been removed because symlinks could inadvertedly pointed to nothing.
This is easily seen from
%make install  [creating symlink /install/dir/file->/make/dir/file]
%make clean    [remove /make/dir/file]

I have done only limited testing of this new version.  My weekly `make world'
will start some time on Friday morning.

--
Steven G. Kargl     | Phone: 206-685-4677 |
Applied Physics Lab | Fax:   206-543-6785 |