Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 08:51:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
To:        drifter@stratos.net
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SB16 doesn't work with either Voxware or PnP...

On Sat, 20 Jun 1998 drifter@stratos.net wrote:

> 	ARRRGGHHH!  All that time carefully crafting my letter and
> I got the wrong audio device.  In fact, I did mean /dev/audio2, and
> that, unfortunately, did *not* work.
> 	In fact, my hands are very tired from constantly testing
> all audio devices with combinations like:
>
> 	# rm /dev/audio
> 	# ln -s /dev/audio1 /dev/audio
> 	# cat audio.au > /dev/audio
> 	<PCM error>
> 	# rm /dev/audio
> 	# ln -s /dev/audio2 /dev/audio
> 	# cat audio.au > /dev/audio
> 	<PCM error>
> 	...ad naseum!
> 	:(
>
> 	Unfortunately, this is not turning out to be a typical
> device/link problem...

I have an SB16 that I use with FreeBSD daily.  All Making it work required
was editing sound_config.h (as the LINT kernel directs you to do),
building the kernel with the appropriate controller and device directives,
and doing a MAKEDEV in /dev once the new kernel was in place.

Jamie Bowden

Systems Administrator, iTRiBE.net