Date:      Fri, 4 Dec 1998 21:59:14 +0100 (CET)
From:      Ronald Kuehn <kuehn@rz.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: ffs_blkfree: bad size

In freebsd-current you write:

> > dev=0x20404, bno = 13, bsize = 8192, size = 8192, fs = /var
> > panic: ffs_blkfree: bad size
> >
> > The /var filesystem does not have soft updates enabled.
> > I got a dump, but not from a debugging kernel.
> >
> > [ current as of Dec 2 ]

> Just wondering, why are people running softupdates and non-softupdates on
> the same box, or just plain not using softupdates?

> I thought that it is as reliable as regular mounts and faster?  Or are
> there issues that I haven't noticed?

> Or are you guys testing for the FreeBSD project?

> -Alfred

On small filesystems, softupdates has some problems here.
If I do a "make installworld", it breaks with "file system full"
errors. It doesn't recover the free space on the filesystem (from the
removed files) quickly enough. So the filesystem seems full.

Bye,
  Ronald
--
* The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.