Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 19:18:31 +0200
From:      Tim Priebe <tim@polytechnic.edu.na>
To:        Ron Rosson <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Drive Copy

Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson wrote:

> I hate adding a me too.. but I am lurking and hoping for an answer.. I
> have 2 identical machines getting ready to be deployed in two different
> places and I would love to only have to tweak one system and then just
> copy the drive over to the other systems drive.

If the systems are truly identical then dd will definitly work.

eg.

dd bs=10k if=ad1 of=ad2

I do this regularly even with systems that are not identical, even if
the hard drives are not identical. To do this if the systems are not
identical, I use dangerously dedicated disks.

Note: dangerously dedicated disks do not work on some system, can not be
used if you want to be able to dual boot (ever, without a reinstall),
and the destination disk must be at least as big as the source disk. If
the destination disk is bigger than the source, the extra space can be
allocated and used after the copy.

Tim.