Date:      Sat, 12 Jul 1997 03:42:58 -0400
From:      "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        jdp@polstra.com
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup mirrors and version 15.1

   Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 16:13:03 -0700
   From: John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
   Sender: owner-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG

   * It fixes a potentially nasty security problem.  Under certain
   circumstances, it was possible for a file's setuid and/or setgid
   bits to be transferred even though the owner/group were not.  Since
   the clients often run as root, this meant that a setuid file owned
   by Joe Blow on the server host would become a setuid-to-root file on
   the client.  Not nice.  I put fixes for this into both the client
   and the server, and all the US servers are already upgraded.  So you
   are already reasonably protected.  But wouldn't you feel better
   running a client that protected you, so you wouldn't have to trust
   somebody else's server?

Maybe I'm missing something, but aren't you trusting someone else's
server whenever you get a kernel from that server?