Date:      27 Jan 2002 01:49:00 -0500
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        burningclown@westhost43.westhost.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't build anything Gnome

A better list to send GNOME-related problems to is freebsd-gnome@

> /usr/libexec/elf/ld: warning: libpng.so.4, needed by /usr/X11R6/lib/libgdk_imlib.so, may conflict with libpng.so.5
> gnome-terminal.o: In function `apply_changes':
> gnome-terminal.o(.text+0x12e6): undefined reference to `zvt_term_set_open_im'
> gnome-terminal.o: In function `new_terminal_cmd':
> gnome-terminal.o(.text+0x5314): undefined reference to `zvt_term_set_open_im'
> gmake[3]: *** [gnome-terminal] Error 1

Looks like you may have some out-of-date ports.  GNOME is really
particular about everything being in sync, and up-to-date.  Verify the
versions of Imlib and png you have installed.  They should be:

imlib-1.9.11
png-1.2.1

Keeping the old libpng around to handle older dependencies isn't too big
of a deal, but Imlib should really be rebuilt to link against libpng
1.2.1.

Also, what version of gnomelibs do you have installed?  You should have:

gnomelibs-1.4.1.3

> gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/x11/gnomecore/work/gnome-core-1.4.0.5/gnome-terminal'
> gmake[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/x11/gnomecore/work/gnome-core-1.4.0.5/gnome-terminal'
> gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/x11/gnomecore/work/gnome-core-1.4.0.5'
> gmake: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnomecore.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnomecore.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnomecore.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnomecore.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnome.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnome.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnome.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnome.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnome.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnome.
>
> If anyone has any ideas how to resolve this, I'd love to hear em. I tried
> simply moving libpng.so.4 to /tmp, but it actually is needed by (or at
> least referred to by) other files.
>
> Together with all the trouble conflicting libpng versions caused with KDE
> applications, this makes a lotta pain over one set of libraries!
>
> I've been slaving over a hot cpu all night, so pardon the crabbiness --
> but shouldn't all the dependencies, etc, be resolved better than this?
> Sorry, too, if there was stuff on the list that might've helped & I missed
> it.

Yeah, sometimes lib updates may get missed when upgrading GNOME.
However, the portupgrade tool can help alleviate some of the problems.
To get the core GNOME components, a good trick is:

portupgrade -r ORBit

To get all the glib stuff:

portupgrade -r pkgconfig

You might do the same with png:

portupgrade -r png

Of course, sometimes builds are broken, and you have to force the
upgrade with the -f flag to portupgrade.  To reassure you, I have GNOME
built and running smoothly on 4.5-RC3.  A group of us are also working
on a FreeBSD GNOME site to help with build and porting problems.  Until
we move it to FreeBSD.ORG, you can find it at
http://www.marcuscom.com/gnome.

Joe