Date:      Sat, 28 Dec 1996 17:23:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt Hamilton <matt@clintondale.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   POP3 RADIUS and long usernames

Dear All,
  I have been watching the discussion on several of the lists about having
>8 char usernames.  We run a mail server that we would like to try and
implement long usernames on.
  Since this server is only connected to via POP3 and sendmail for the
user I was wondering if there was a way to circumvent the normal UNIX
passwd file and authenicate POP3 and sendmail requests another way.
  I know that sendmail can use a database file for usenames, but I don't
think any POP3 servers can.  Does anybody know of any that do?
  My idea was to try and modify sendmail and ipop3d so that they would
authenticate via RADIUS.  This would allow longer usernames and would
allow central administration along with our terminal server.

Does anybody know if this would be any easy task (I am not too proficient
in C) or if something similar has already been done?

-Matt

  Matt Hamilton                                         Clintondale Aviation
  matt@clintondale.com                            http://www.clintondale.com