Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:01:20 +0100
From:      Matthias Saou <matthias@accelance.fr>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with a Xircom ethernet card

Hi there!

I'm still quite new to FreeBSD, but I start to like that OS : It's hard
to start with but it's very neat and powerful :-)
I've installed a 4.2-RELEASE on my Asus L7300 laptop, dual-booting with
Linux. I've recompiled my kernel, got the sound working great (took me 2
hours to finally be bright enough to have a look inside the MAKEDEV
script to see I was supposed to do a "./MAKEDEV snd0" to get /dev/dsp
and others...) but I still can't get my ethernet to work! It's a
nuisance since xmms isn't on the CD-Rom even though lots of packages
that depend on it are there... and without a network access, I can't
easily build ports...

First of all, the card IS NOT a CardBus card, it's a basic pccard 10/100
ethernet + modem 56. The IRQ used under Linux for the pccard/cardbus
bridge is 9, and the ethernet uses 10. Both the modem and the ethernet
work great under Linux (2.2 and 2.4-test even better ;-)

OK, here are the symptoms :
At boot time, the pccard/cardbus is found (pcipc0 and pcipc1 if I recall
well) and the pccardd started. What I get is a message saying it can't
find anything corresponding to "(null)"("(null)") in the pccard.conf
file after displaying two messages "card inserted in slot 0" on the
console.
I really don't have a clue of what's happening. I suppose the problem is
earlier than the pccard.conf file, so there's nothing much to do there
(I tried "irq 10" and other stuff just in case...).

I installed a 4.1.1-RELEASE on the same computer before, I never got
that card working (I didn't try very long...), but the pccardd message
was giving my card's full name (Xircom CreditCard etc.). Browsing the
list archives, I found that "xe" support was broken in 4.0-RELEASE and
fixed after, is it the case again? I suppose not, and that I'm the one
doing something wrong :-(

Any help, pointers etc. would be very very much appreciated.

Matthias

--
Matthias Saou
matthias@accelance.fr