Date:      Wed, 04 Feb 2004 18:38:22 -0800
From:      Pat Lashley <patl+freebsd@volant.org>
To:        "Kline, Erik" <Erik.Kline@netapp.com>, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/62368: 5.2-RELEASE syslog.conf appears to be malformed

--On Wednesday, February 04, 2004 18:10:07 -0800 "Kline, Erik" <Erik.Kline@netapp.com> wrote:

>  so when writing scripts that make custom mods to syslog.conf I need to
>  cat >> /etc/syslog.conf something like:
>
>  !*
>  local2.info		@some.log.host
>
>  Is this correct? Thanks for pointing out the section of the man page I
>  didn't quite get down to!

That's certainly one way to do it; but it would really be cleaner
to try to insert the new lines before the first line that starts
with '!' or '#!'.  (Although a strong argument could be made for
appending some sort of 'local mods start here' comment followed
by a '!*' line if you aren't removing or replacing any of the
default entries.)

-Pat