Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 1995 20:29:46 +0300
From:      Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GENERIC kernel & some basic UNIX pointers

Garrett Wollman writes:
 > <<On Tue, 13 Jun 1995 10:47:10 +0100, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org> said:
 >
 > > predictor-1 compression is so far superior to what's provided by
 > > pppd that I can't see any reason to use anything else now.
 >
 > Unless you actually care about latency or jitter, which some users
 > definitely will.
 >
 > -GAWollman

Actually, packet-by-packet compression that predictor-1 does improve
both your latency and lessen your jitter, specially when compared to
letting the modem mess with your data (which it does not understand
a bit about). The latency is usually about halved (with regular HTTP or
telnet data) and jitter is minimized, specially on low-speed links.

Pete