Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2018 14:28:46 +0000
From:      Mark Raynsford <list+org.freebsd.java@io7m.com
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Cc:        jmd@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Future of OpenJDK ports in FreeBSD with time-based releases?

--Sig_/WPUt.dQrt13.ZGmwoe=F_70

Hello.

> As a Java user and developer on FreeBSD, I'd like to inquire how this
> change will affect the FreeBSD ports.

I'm a Java user and developer, and use Java on FreeBSD (but I don't
work on the JDK or the FreeBSD java ports).

My understanding is that the work that needs to be done only needs to
be done the once: It seems as though someone needs to add new
definitions to this file:

  http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/jdk9/file/a08cbfc0e4ec/common/autoconf/to=
olchain.m4

Otherwise, if you attempt to build the JDK on FreeBSD, the
./configure step will fail complaining that there isn't a valid
toolchain on this platform.

I don't know if there's more BSD-specific code needed in the JDK, but
I'd think that the above would be a one-off change that would apply to
all future releases (hopefully the change would get pushed upstream).

There's also this repository:

  http://hg.openjdk.java.net/bsd-port/jdk9/

... but it doesn't seem like anything is happening there.

--=20
Mark Raynsford | http://www.io7m.com

--Sig_/WPUt.dQrt13.ZGmwoe=F_70

--Sig_/WPUt.dQrt13.ZGmwoe=F_70--