Date:      Mon, 06 Jan 2003 10:06:45 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wi0 and mtu setting [bad idea]

In message: <Pine.A41.4.10.10301061716300.116252-100000@bessel.tekniikka.turkuamk.fi>
            Evren Yurtesen <eyurtese@turkuamk.fi> writes:
: I think something is called broken when it doesnt work as you expect it to
: work or it doesnt comply with standards.
: Also I think something is called an 'extra feature' if it is not in the
: standard which defines it but you have access to it.
:
: Can you please show me the 802.11b document where it says the MTU shouldnt
: be more than 1500bytes? Maybe it doesnt say that the MTU can be more than
: 1500 bytes but I think the standards also doesnt say if it must be smaller
: than 1500 bytes.
:
: Also by lettin user to be able to set MTU higher than 1500 you do not
: break the wi driver. You give an extra feature to it. It is the user who
: breaks the standards(if it says in 802.11b standards that the MTU cant be
: bigger than 1500) if he/she sets MTU higher than 1500

Actually, if you want to play the standards card, you need to show
where in the doc it is allowed.  The burdon of proof is on you, not
the me, for this.

I've seen some compelling arguments to do this, but also a lot of
stupid grousing and complaining that make me ill inclined to help.

Warner