Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 97 8:14:28 CDT
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        maartje@simplex.nl (Maartje van der Heide)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, maartje@simplex.nl
Subject:   Re: Micropolis 3243 7200 rpm in a newsmachine?

> Now, is this just bad luck, since we had the micropolis harddisks
> working for one and half year without a single problem?
> The rotational speed is 7200 rpm, is it too much for a newsmachine
> (will it heat up too much) ? Or will there be no problem when I
> buy a separate box to hold (and cool) the disks?

As much as anything is up to chance and luck where hard drives are
concerned, I've had rather bad luck with the 3243's as well, and would
not consider buying one for most applications - particularly news.

I _really_ like the Seagate Hawk drives.  You can probably get a pair
of Hawk 2GB's for the same price as the 3243, and they'll be faster
overall.  I use the 1GB variety, but the 2GB'ers seem to be the same...
I've seen one failure out of sixty or eighty of the 1GB drives
in the last year, IIRC.  They run cool, even if you don't cool
them properly.  You don't have to worry like you do about the Barra's.

(The new Barra's run almost as cool, however).

... Joe