Date:      27 Nov 2002 01:32:21 +0200
From:      Ville =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Skytt=E4?= <scop@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Paul Gelderblom <paul.gelderblom@lostboys.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-cvsweb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: possible additions to cvsweb offered

On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 00:48, Paul Gelderblom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have made some additions to cvsweb, and am willing to submit them for
> inclusion.

Cool, let's see...

> The new features are:
>
> 1 * different sorting option:
> case-insensitive sort in all pages sorted on filename in cvsweb (this is a
> matter of taste, but my users prefer it. It should be an option in
> cvsweb.conf)

Sounds useful, but I think it should be a per-user setting, perhaps with
the default setting configured in cvsweb.conf.

> 2 * picture previews:

Hmm, I get your point.  But I'm not 100% sure about how this could be
sensibly implemented.  Are you "forcing" the image sizes to something
fixed?  Some screenshots would be nice.  See also [1].

> 3 * customizable cross-linking:

Again, see [1] below...

> 4 * interface to cvs history file:

Sounds useful.  Some history file stuff is definitely in The Roadmap,
for example integration with CVSps, <http://www.cobite.com/cvsps/>.

> My questions are:
> * should I mail the screenshots (send me an email)

That'd be useful.  If you don't want to use this list for that (though I
guess it wouldn't hurt, eg. in a [bg]zipped tarball), please send 'em at
least to me.

> * do you think these additions would be worthwhile?

Yep, that's my first impression.

> * should I submit them to freebsd-cvsweb or to the Zeller site. It seems
> that that site is pretty silent - is freebsd-cvsweb the most active version
> of cvsweb?

AFAICT, yes.  I don't think anything has happened with Zeller's version
for some time now.

> * I started my developments based on cvsweb 2.0.0  ($FreeBSD:
> projects/cvsweb/cvsweb.cgi,v 1.87 2001/11/07 21:08:33 knu Exp $)
> which was on my Freebsd system. I see in the repository that quite a lot has
> changed since then. So I will need to do some patching. I am very willing to
> do that, but first let me know whether (and which of) the suggested
> additions are worthwhile.

As said, the features sound interesting.  Version 2.0.x of
FreeBSD-CVSweb is feature-frozen, only bug fixes will go into it.  I
suggest that you take a look at the 3.0-dev version, ie. the CVS HEAD,
and consider porting to that.  A good way to start would be to minimize
the diffs against the 2.0.0 version you started with (which can be
retrieved from FreeBSD CVS in case you don't have it around any more),
and split it into multiple, self-contained patches, each of which do one
thing.  And then start porting them to 3.0.

Oops, almost forgot the footnote, here goes [1]:

For UI customizations, i18n stuff and all that, I'm planning to use some
templating system or XML/XSLT (or both :).  The code just gets too hairy
even with one HTML UI output directly from it, let alone the
customizations.  I've begun that by moving most of styling stuff to an
external CSS file, but I have intentions to rip all the HTML out of the
Perl code as well.  Template Toolkit, <http://www.template-toolkit.org/>;
is a strong candidate at the moment.

Maybe it's best to work with non-UI features first to avoid redundant
work.

Cheers,
--
\/ille Skyttä