Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 1997 22:33:51 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@hydrogen.nike.efn.org>
To:        "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, sdudley@byterunner.com
Subject:   Re: TC-800 hi speed 8-port serial card

Daniel O'Callaghan scribbled this message on Jun 23:

please only post to one list, I got duplicates...

> I have a TC-800 8 port serial card from ByteRunner (www.byterunner.com).
> It is a 16550-based card which supports shared interrupts, and has an
> IRQ-status register "for UNIX compatibility and faster IRQ response".

well.. every port has an irq status register... now the question is
if it has something similar to the AST/4 irq status register, that
reports which ports have an irq pending..

> The ByteRunner web site has a link to the serial ports section of the
> FreeBSD handbook (2.1.0 version!!!) rather than explicit instructions for
> installing with FreeBSD.  I already have AST/4 clones running happily on
> my system.  I configured a kernel with COM_MULTIPORT and 8 ports tied
> together as for the AST/4.  I added the "verbose" bit to the flags.  None
> of the sio devices was recognised, and the probe failed at "test 3",
> which looks like the IRQ test in sio.c.

there is a bit that tells FreeBSD to ignore the results of test3...

> I also tried a Bocaboard-8 kernel configuration, again to no avail.

see above..

> There are two modes for the card - standard and "Unix".  The Unix mode
> has an 8 byte chunk of memory mapped for and "Interrupt vector", usually,
> but not always, located immediately after the port 7 address.  Sio(4) man

hun?? how is memory mapped after io ports??

> page does not seem to handle this other than by saying "only AST/4
> control registers are handled."

actually.. AST/4 irq status registers aren't even supported yet... I'm
about finished with support 'em...

> Has anyone managed to get one of these cards working under FreeBSD?
> At A$21 per port, they would be very nice to get going.

nope, but I have some 4port Computone ValuePort V4 that I'm working
with...  there are other problems with the COM_MULTIPORT define than
just not supporting the irq register...

ttyl..

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD