Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 2015 11:38:48 +0000
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        Dr Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ada drives keep timing out!

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 11:21 AM, Dr Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk> wrot=
e:
> In this case other report no such issues on the same hardware running Lin=
ux, so it seems to me to be an internal timeout issue within FreeBSD, or ma=
ybe Linux retries more than FreeBSD and so doesn=E2=80=99t experience the i=
ssue that we do. It=E2=80=99s clear that FreeBSD is proactively disconnecti=
ng the drive when the timeout occurs. So, maybe there=E2=80=99s something t=
hat can be done there.

Linux has more automatic quirks for troublesome hardware, it may also
have a longer default timeout. FreeBSD's

WD green drives are green, they spin down frequently if idle. If you
then try and use them, they can take considerably longer than the
timeout to spin back up and be ready, and the kernel gives up.

You can make the WD green drives less green by using a dos tool,
wdidle3.exe. Google will tell you more (and show that WD green drives
cause people problems on all OS when they use them in RAID). The
continual parking/unparking considerably reduces the life of disk.

You can tell BSD to wait longer with a higher "kern.cam.ada.default_timeout=
".

Cheers

Tom