Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 1999 18:07:21 +0100 (CET)
From:      Blaz Zupan <blaz@gold.amis.net>
To:        ADRIAN Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@visi.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel cannot mount root with new bootblocks

> 	All in all I do agree with dumping the old blocks in favor of the
> new.  As a temporary work around I put "0:da(1,a)kernel" in /boot.config,
> yes, boot.config.  The original pposter might try this or something
> similar.

Yes, this actually works. I notice that the boot code tries to boot
0:da(0,a)/boot/loader. So I tried 0:da(1,a)/boot/loader which brought up
the loader, but then it could not find the kernel again and I had to type
boot disk1s4a:/kernel to boot the kernel, which then again failed after
trying to go multiuser, because it said I'm not remounting the same root
partition. Something's really broken with the boot code in this respect.

I guess Alfreds solution with wiring down the devices would help as well,
but for now the above solution works for me and it works without
recompiling the kernel (which is painfull on a 486).

Although I'm getting more and more confused by the PC architecture booting
process and I'm really starting to appreciate Mr. Nordier's work ;)

Blaz Zupan, blaz@medinet.si, http://home.amis.net/blaz
Medinet d.o.o., Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia