Date:      Wed, 04 Jun 1997 23:20:00 -0700
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
Cc:        Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: news server source for 95/NT

Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> While it's true that NT will probably require more memory to get the
> system up and running, and while it's also true that you will probably
> have to buy software (although I'm sure Netscape and others would be
> as happy to sell you a news server as Microsoft would), it's complete
> and utter bull to assert that NT will "fall over" under a full news
> feed.  It show's that you simply have no clue what you're talking
> about.  In fact, I would bet that you have no experience whatsoever
> doing anything demanding with NT.

Well...I imagine if you use a Compaq Proliant with 512M and lot's of
SCSI disks and so on, even DOS will resist the load. In the real world,
though, the performance of any UNIX will easily beat NT:
	http://www.lanquest.com/reports/lotus_notes/sco85a.htm
I don't know NetBSD, but FreeBSD outperforms SCO (especially at high
loads).

> Speaking as one who helped write a very powerful news server product
> for NT, which is part of the most powerful messaging platform on the
> planet (speaking of Microsoft Exchange, in case I lost you)....

Just type: +NT vs +UNIX in altavista and cry :-)

	Pedro.