Date:      Wed, 9 May 2001 01:11:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>
To:        jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
Cc:        <hubs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: We seriously need a cleanup on ftp-master

On Wed, 9 May 2001, jason andrade wrote:

> On Tue, 8 May 2001, Cejka Rudolf wrote:
>
> [...]
> > them. I would like to see much lower number of primary mirror sites, but
> > with much higher quality and credibility. What about splitting up a list
> > of mirror sites into primary (proven, credible) and secondary
> > (incomplete, slower) categories?
> >
> > Imagine 4.4-RELEASE and all 100+ (?) mirror sites syncing
> > and waiting for 4.4-release.iso over rsync :-)
>

> from observing redhat releases, there are about 25 "primary" sites - i.e
> ones where admins will work to ensure a pre-release is completely available
> before an announcement.  the other 100 or so sites tend to catch up at a
> rate of anything from a few days, to a few weeks, depending on the size
> of their mirror.
>
> but of those 25, i doubt there are more than half a dozen who can offer
> a complete (80G+?) redhat mirror.
>
> i'd expect similar numbers with freebsd mirroring.  sometimes the concept
> of a "primary" might be more important as having an up to the date release
> available than a complete freebsd archive per se.

So why not formalize that relationship with an archive.freebsd.org which
stores all the older stuff and ftp.freebsd.org that has the latest and
greatest:

Latest -RELEASE with packages
Latest -SNAP (current and stable)
Latest packages

To get this work seamlessly, you need to put code into fetch/sysinstall to
automagically try archive.freebsd.org when it can't find what it needs on
ftp.freebsd.org. The advantage to this is a ftp.freebsd.org server will
have high bandwidth requirements but lower disk requirements. An archive
server will have large disk requirements but lower bandwidth requirements.
This gives mirror operators the opportunity to sit down, assess what they
can provide (ie, I can provide lots of disk, but not much bandwidth) and
fill one of the above 2 roles.

-gordon