Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2000 10:44:02 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Generic Player <generic@unitedtamers.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do you people listen to mp3s?

* Generic Player <generic@unitedtamers.com> [000702 10:40] wrote:
> I can't manage to find an mp3 player that works under freebsd
> 4.0-release.  They all skip horribly any time the system accesses the
> disk at all, the only one I can get to play smoothly is kmp3, by turning
> the buffer up to max.  But it randomly crashes and then won't start
> again unless I reboot the machine.  A stable OS is no good if there are
> no stable programs for it right?  What programs do you use, or is it a
> 4.0-release issue maybe?

Upgrading to 4-stable would probably help.  see:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/synching.html

you can also pkg_add 'ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/CVSup/cvsupit.tgz'

As a side note, telling us you have issues with sound and not
telling us which exact card you have is pretty useless as a bug
report.

-Alfred