Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 13:54:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jeffrey Vehrs <70673.3111@compuserve.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM TP560 problems

Please don't blind-carbon-copy mailing lists, thanks.

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Jeffrey Vehrs wrote:

> I have IBM Thinkpad 560 w/ 73Mb Ram, 3Gb HD. I've seen two annoying problems
> at the boot-up. Here's "boot-up" log:

> Doing initial network setup: hostname.
> ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Destination address required  <=== uh?
> lp0: flags=8810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

Check /etc/rc.conf; it looks like there's an incomplete ifconfig entry.
It looks like you installed over parallel cable, perhaps its config
wasn't saved properly.

> Additional routing options:.
> recording kernel -c changes
> additional daemons: syslogdCode 128 not found  <=== what is code 128?
> Code 128 not found
> code Unknown ignored
> Starting final network daemons:.
> setting ldconfig path: /usr/lib /usr/lib/compat /usr/X11R6/lib
> starting standard daemons: inetd cron sendmailsio2: type 16550A
> Megahertz XJ4336-CC4336 inserted
> Feb 26 08:31:04 little_freebie /kernel: sio2: 64 events for device with no
> tp  <=== what does it means? Is that why I couldn't dial out(tun0)?
> Feb 26 08:31:04 little_freebie pccardd[37]: pccardd started

Try taking the modem out while booting, then put it in when the system is
done booting.  The messages for the PCCARD init is leaking through the
startup messages.

Doug White