Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 06:21:13 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Blaine Minazzi <bminazzi@denverweb.net>, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How many customers read news (was Re: News...)

At 11:51 PM 4/20/97 -0600, Blaine Minazzi wrote:

>> Its not my problem... They can read whatever they want as far as I am
>> concerned... If its someone in authority demonstrates to me a particular
>> post is illegal and should be removed, I will...
>>

>You may feel someone can read whatever they want, but if it is illegal,
>and it is on your server, it IS your problem. The way that someone in
>authority demonstrates somthing is illegal, it is usually in the form of
>a warrant, or felony charges.

As far as I know, in Ontario, Canada,  an ISP is NOT required to go through
each and every post to determine and judge whether or not a particular post
is illegal or not.  I dont have time to do, and I dont think the police or
the courts expect me to do it.  Sure, you can make reasonable efforts (e.g.
not carry alt.pedophilia or alt.binaries.warez.*, which we dont), but I am
not going to spend 24hrs a day going through
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.* to make sure each and every post does not
depict someone under 18.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)           * To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
Sentex Communications Corp,              * To be is to do  -- Sartre
Cambridge, Ontario                       * Do be do be do  -- Sinatra
(http://www.sentex.net/~mdtancsa)        *