Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 23:52:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@earthlink.net>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/32373: Bad ifconfig(8) alias advice in FAQ 10.9

>Number:         32373
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Bad ifconfig(8) alias advice in FAQ 10.9
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD blossom.cjclark.org 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #0: Wed Nov 7 14:50:28 PST 2001 cjc@blossom.cjclark.org:/usr/obj/export/stable/src/sys/BLOSSOM i386

	The FAQ says,

  10.9. How can I setup Ethernet aliases?

  Add netmask 0xffffffff to your ifconfig(8) command-line like the following:

    # ifconfig ed0 alias 204.141.95.2 netmask 0xffffffff

This is incorrect. You use a netmask of 0xffffffff for aliases which
exist on the same logical network as a previously configured address
on the same logical network. The ifconfig(8) manpage gets it right,

     alias   Establish an additional network address for this interface.  This
             is sometimes useful when changing network numbers, and one wishes
             to accept packets addressed to the old interface.  If the address
             is on the same subnet as the first network address for this
             interface, a netmask of 0xffffffff has to be specified.

	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/networking.html#ETHERNET-ALIASES