Date:      Thu, 02 May 2002 16:22:53 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Andrew R. Reiter" <arr@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: savcore dump names?

"Andrew R. Reiter" wrote:
> On Thu, 2 May 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:
> :This was really meant for someone who was upset enough that
> :they were willing to revert the dump format changes at the
> :same time...
> :
> :I was doing this:  8^p.
>
> Damn, then why post at all?  That's crap.

If you want, I can find the URL references to back out all the
corresponding changes; I think it would piss Marcel off, if
anyone committed them, though.

If anyone is the current maitainer, it's Marcel.

My personal take on "the MD5 naming problem" is:

	ls -lt | more

You only ever really care about the datestamp, anyway, and
anyone who keeps more than one dump around is either crazy,
or has too many things going on at once.

Obviously, there are people who disagree with this strongly
enough that they're willing to flame -arch about it (and have).

So: What does everyone want done so badly that they are willing
to break off Poul's arm and try to beat him to death with the
wet end?

"Put it back" is not an acceptable answer, since it doesn't
provide a forward path by describing the "correct behavior"
("the way it was" is not an adequate behavioural specification).
If you want "put it back", then you can easily do that yourself
with the resources I pointed at.

If people could say what they want, rather than bitching about
what they don't want, it'd be a heck of a lot more likely to
result in patches (IMO).

-- Terry