Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2018 08:34:40 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Tijl Coosemans <tijl@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org" <emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Making linux-c7 default?

base
On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 1:33 AM T=C4=B3l Coosemans <tijl@freebsd.org> wrote=
:

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2018 09:32:12 -0700 Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Is there any plan to make linux-c7 the default version? I've been using
> it
> > for months with no problems and I have not seen issues reported by
> others,
> > so I have been expecting to see the default change for a while, now.
> >
> > The main issue I have is that packages are still being built with the
> > rather aged c6 and that forces me to keep building some large ports
> > manually, especially chromium. On my small system, this takes about 12
> > hours, all because the port is built with a dependency on linux_base-c6=
.

> I was thinking of November, after FreeBSD 10 EoL, because I'm not sure
> FreeBSD 10 has all the kernel bits to run c7.  Maybe we can already
> make the switch for 11 and 12 though.
>
> I don't see how chromium depends on linux_base by the way.  It's not in
> the output of "make all-depends-list".

I did not try that, but an attempt to use pkg to upgrade it fails because
several linux-c6 ports are not available. I don't recall if linux_base-c6
was listed. Prior to moving to c7, I used the package to save 11-12 hours
of build time on a port that I only rarely use.

Making c7 default on 11 and 12, especially 12, seems like a good idea.

Thanks,
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com