Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 1999 10:39:31 +0100
From:      "Berend de Boer" <berend@pobox.com>
To:        <freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: What database i can use?

> Another alternative is Interbase 4 in the ports collection. This is a
> back version of Interbase (which is a commercial database) but works
> very well & is free.

It is indeed a good alternative.

I've quite some experience with 4.x: Some caveats:

1. don't use views, it generates bad plans.
2. The optimizer is not very smart, so in 10-25% of your queries you have
the specify the correct plan.

But it's stable, fast and free. I've employed it with Delphi clients and
FreeBSD as server with excellent results.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-: